Navigation

Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Gay Marriage?

http://www.islandmix.com/backchat/f9/origin-marriage-50901/

Now I understand that this is a hot topic.  Not one that is easy to agree on either, even inside of families.  I personally don't love or hate gay marriage.  I will however stand up for their right to it.  To reference the article, marriage was a thing before Christianity and they do not have sole rights to the term.  Also, as you can see, the idea of what marriage means to not only our country but to people in general has changed dramatically since it's first incarnation and will no doubt continue the trend of change as time marches on. I'm for one very thankful I am no longer considered a piece of property and have the right to vote.  


The main reason people have a right to marriage(gay or otherwise) in our country is our constitution.  Which I might add was very well thought out and way ahead of it's time.  Essentially though, it very thoroughly states one, a separation of church and state and two, the right to freedom of religion.  That being stated I would never dream to even think that you or your church should be required to sanction that which they may hold as a sin or even an abomination.  Never.  I do expect our government however to recognize any marriage between two consenting adults, irrespective of race, sex, or religion.     


It boggles me that it wasn't that long ago that interracial marriage was against the law.  Though because it's no longer illegal it gives me hope that eventually people will see past their differences in faith and allow people to be treated equally under our government. Let's be realistic, a civil union is just an attempt to segregate a person because of who they love.  If you must separate yourself from gays being allowed to "marry" why not call your own marriage a holy marriage or a Christian marriage?  I suppose it all comes down to a struggle over wordage.  Which to me is silly.  As you can call a rock by stone, pebble, or boulder but it doesn't change the fact that it's a rock.  


P.S. I like the word irrespective.  

No comments:

Post a Comment