Navigation

Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Perception

How does one decide what is real?  What is truth and what is fiction?


It still floors me some days how much the motivational bs they tried to sell us in high school has proven true. And equally surprised it took so long to see it. Like the quote involving a glass that is either half full or half empty or the one with raining lemons. I once felt that life was defined by what you accomplish but am finding it is more sharply defined by the perspective one chooses. Then I step back and think to myself what do I really know about life? 


I recall being younger and driving back home from Superior as a passenger with my dad.  The day was a sunny one and we were going past the home with a giant field between it and the highway that always had a white picket fence around it, stretching the length of the property.   That day I was stunned when I realized how many people were in the world living out their own lives, with so many different thoughts and ideas and troubles.  It was a huge revelation for me.  I think I even tried to explain it to my dad during that car ride, but I didn't get the reaction I wanted.  Just an acknowledgment that yes there are a lot of folks in the world, what's new about that?  Though I dare say part of the problem was my lack of skill in expressing the idea.  


It's humbling when you really stop to think about it.  It gives you pause to possibly see that no, you don't have it all that bad, despite how many people you think have it better.  


Some days I feel hopelessly lost in my own thoughts.  Like when I'm driving and someone cuts me off.  At first I react and think WTF?  Did they really just do that?  Then I think about it.  Do you think they saw me?  What might be going on in their life that could make them so distracted or thoughtless?  Was I speeding and they thought I was going slower?  Do they have an emergency somewhere? And then the anger is forgotten and my mind wonders onto another topic, be it whats on the radio or what I need to go grocery shopping for. 

No comments:

Post a Comment