Navigation

Monday, February 27, 2012

Politics?

http://www.mrconservative.com/2012/02/2263-obama-bible-burning/

You know... if President Obama failed to address the current situation it would just get worse which would put more of our soldiers lives at risk.  Trying to minimize the danger our troops are in while they are surrounded by a people known for being extreme about religion, isn't a bad thing.  


I fully believe that if the situation that is in the Middle East was the story of what was going on in America right now, it would be just as bad and we would demand an apology from the occupying leader.  For one moment just imagine that we were the up and coming country still going through civil war and had a foreign military force in our country with very different religious beliefs.  Then word got out that they were burning our bibles.  I can only imagine the anger and violence that would occur and it would probably be worse.  I dare say we would drive the occupying force out or die trying.  


Why those orders were given in the first place is a mystery to me.  What brilliant person didn't see this happening the moment word got out?  


In general I reject any "news" or "premise" that is aimed at causing fear and anger.  Not because there is nothing worth fearing or being angry about, but because those emotions block a persons ability to be reasonable.  A writer that does this makes me feel as if they are assuming I am incapable of reaching my own conclusions on a story and their attempt to make me accept theirs with this method is not acceptable. (Such as hinting that the foundation of my belief system is threatened because the President wants to try to protect the troops that are in the danger zone.)


Deep down though this whole situation just saddens me.  Hate begets hate, violence just begets more violence.  I pray everyday for the world as a whole to gain a deeper understanding for those we live with. I would pray for world peace but without a foundation of understanding and acceptance that peace would be fragile indeed.  


2 comments:

  1. ok. so I read the article and I don't really think the comparison between how Obama feels about the Muslim religion vs. the Christian religion is actually a good argument.

    I think in the comments that claim to show that he is not respectful of Christianity actually are illustrating the concept of separation of church and state in the US. Most of those points actually are what I personally would expect of a leader in our country to follow (but of course I tend to lean towards the hands off liberal side of the fence). #1 & #2 make me pause.

    I also think that comparing the burning of Bibles (which was not something I was aware of) to the Koran also illustrates the volatility of the situation right now. I think that it is critical that this situation not be exacerbated. Since the burning of the Bibles did not result in an increase in violence at the time, perhaps having the president issue apologies was not what was needed at the time to prevent more violence. Or maybe he did issue apologies and it was just reported differently. Or maybe the apologies were enough.

    I think this whole article was written to slant the perception of how we look at the president's policies and handling of events :)

    There are probably some good points well worth more thought, but it would have been better if the article was more balanced.

    But these are just my quick thoughts as I do not have time to write anything really thoughtful :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL yea... I can't say I was impressed with their list of comparisons either. Unless of course they were trying to prove what a mature and professional man our President is with ALL of the examples. Truly I don't think Christianity has much to fear either. It has a very real and strong base in America. I know it chafes sometimes that it's not a universal religion like I'm sure some would wish it, but that is the cost of living in a country with freedom of religion.

    ReplyDelete